Deadline for Mentor Applications is January 5, 2019
Thank you for your interest in becoming a marketing mentor! The first step is to complete the application below. After submitting your application, AMA Los Angeles will be in touch with you if selected for the program or if we have any questions regarding your application.
AMA Los Angeles’s mentorship program supports the new generation of leaders within the marketing industry. We connect emerging talent with professionals that are passionate about giving back. Mentees have the opportunity to be matched with a wide-array of Mentors to gain a deeper understanding of the marketing industry’s business practices and culture, gain expertise, build a professional network, and design realistic goals.
Our goal with this program is to develop lasting professional relationships, improve AMA networking opportunities and provide invaluable career development for both mentees and mentors. We are extending the Mentor Application deadline to Jan 5 2019, but once the relationship is established, it may continue indefinitely if both sides agree to.
A mentor program benefits professionals by allowing them to….
- Contribute to the professional development of the future Marketing workforce.
- Identify potential interns and new hires for their organization.
- Assist students in beginning successful careers and making a difference for them, which in turn leads to a feeling of satisfaction for the mentor.
- Give something back to the profession. by sharing knowledge and help others avoid some of the missteps or mistakes that can easily be made early in a career.
- Increase your profile and leadership skills.
- Often mentors learn from the mentee too since they are bringing the latest information and trends.
- Opportunity to sharpen listening and empathy skills. By listening and helping individuals verbally process their challenges, a professional can be an effective sound board while helping others (mentees or others on their teams at work) find their own solutions to their problems.
- Hone communication skills related to consulting and/or giving others advice
- Helps a professional understand as an entrepreneur and/or boss what people are looking for in their job, supervisor, or responsibilities; also helps to stay in tune with the things necessary to ensure they have career paths that are rewarding to them.
How It Works
Mentors and mentees are encouraged to meet informally and at AMA Los Angeles’s events at least 5x times over the course of the program. These meetings take the form of a phone call, chats over coffee, or one-on-one office time is entirely up to you. After completing a brief application, the Mentorship Committee will match pairs based on both parties’ experience, career goals, geographic meeting preference, and a Speed Networking event. There will be a Mentor Appreciation event after the completion of the six-month program, where Mentors/Mentees can meet other participants and share their experiences. In addition, there will be a survey to conduct a complete an evaluation on the program.
25 mentors and mentees will be selected to participate.
1-1 Mentor Program
Program length: 6 months
February 2019 – July 2019
Speed Networking / Kick-Off Event Date TBD
Mentor Appreciation Dinner / Graduation Date TBD
Eligibility & Fees
Is a current college student (undergraduate or graduate) OR
Has earned their undergraduate degree within the last three years
Preference given to those who are an active collegiate chapter AMA member or student member in a professional chapter and/or Young Professional AMA member
Willing to initiate and maintain regular contact with their mentor
Currently employed in the marketing industry with 5+ years of relevant experience
Must be willing to commit to the mentor program for the duration of the program
Preferably current or soon to be members of AMA Los Angeles or other professional AMA chapter though we will consider all applicants
AMA Member Mentor – FREE
Non-Member Mentor – FREE
If you are not a current member, Join AMA!
- Mentors Apply here (Click Here)
- Mentees Apply here (Coming Soon)
Deadline for 2019 applications to be mentors will be on January 5, 2019